3rd February 2004
7th Plenary Meeting of the Northeast Asia Economic Conference Organizing Committee
15:30 – 18:00 Sunday 1st February 2004
Marine Hall, 4F Toki Messe International Convention Center (Niigata City)
about 60 (see attached list for details of main participants);
Over the course of the conferences held hitherto, the awareness that the Organizing Committee is an organization collectively owned by the countries of Northeast Asia has become entrenched among committee members. The next issue to be tackled by the Organizing Committee is the question of what it should do as a framework for multilateral cooperation; various concrete ideas for action emerged, such as the establishment of a consensus with regard to formulating a vision for economic development and cooperation in Northeast Asia.
Committee members shared the opinion that this issue should be discussed at the 8th Plenary Meeting of the Organizing Committee, which is due to take place in Mongolia in July 2004, so that the vision for economic development and cooperation in Northeast Asia can be discussed at the Northeast Asia Economic Conference Special Symposium, which is due to take place in November 2004.
The Organizing Committee conducted a review of whether the proposals made at the 2002 Northeast Asia Economic Conference in Niigata were being implemented and a more definite position was formulated regarding the translation of the outcomes of discussions at the Northeast Asia Economic Conference into actual activities.
* The Secretary-General proposed the appointment of Hideo Kayahara as a committee member and this was approved by all present.
* Discussions took place concerning the documentation detailing the outcomes of the 2004 Northeast Asia Economic Conference / Northeast Asia Economic Forum in Niigata (Conference Declaration, Major Proposals Made at the Conference and Review of Major Proposals Made at the 2002 Northeast Asia Economic Conference in Niigata).
* Kensuke KOGA (Chairman of the Japan-China Northeast Development Association) reported that the 4th Japan-China Economic Cooperation Conference will be held in June, after the Northeast Asia Economic Conference.
* As this year’s Economic Conference was held jointly with the Northeast Asia Economic Forum, it was decided to establish a Declaration Drafting Committee, in order to finalize the text of the Conference Declaration; Ikuo Hirayama, Cho Lee-Jay and Hisao Kanamori were appointed joint chairs of the committee, while Wang Shengjin (China), Otgonbayar (Mongolia), Kim Ip-Sam (ROK), Pavel Minakir (Russia) and Tsogtsaikhan (international institution) being appointed as members.
* Committee members participated in a lively discussion concerning the 2004 action plan for the Organizing Committee. As a result, it was decided to hold a one-day symposium, entitled the Northeast Asia Economic Conference Special Symposium (hereafter referred to as the Special Symposium) in Niigata in November 2004, focusing on discussion of the vision for economic development and cooperation in Northeast Asia.
* It was decided to hold the 8th Plenary Meeting of the Organizing Committee in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia in July 2004. The Tentative Plan for the 2005 Economic Conference is to be determined at the 8th Plenary Meeting.
* Batjargal (Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Mongolia to Japan, representing Batbold, Mongoliafs Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs) invited the committee to hold its next meeting in Mongolia.
* Kensuke Koga (Senior Advisor, Japan-China Northeast Development Association) reported on trends in and the response to Chinafs new policies concerning the development of Northeastern China as an industrial hub; he also informed participants that the 2004 Japan-China Economic Cooperation Conference in Sendai would take place on the 30th and 31st March 2004.
* Ippei Yamazawa (President, International University of Japan) clarified the current stage of APEC/PECC activities and explained moves to form an East Asian economic community (ASEAN+3); in addition, he spoke of the necessity of utilizing APEC Korea in 2005 to the greatest degree possible and of conducting activities focused on economic cooperation in Northeast Asia.
* Both Pavel Minakir (Director, Economic Research Institute, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences) and Wang Shengjin (Vice-President, Jilin University) expressed their fundamental agreement with the plan to formulate a Vision for Economic Development and Cooperation in Northeast Asia and emphasized the necessity of reflecting the views of the Organizing Committee in formulating the Vision.
* The Secretary-General proposed a partial revision of the Agreement Concerning the Management of the Northeast Asia Economic Conference Organizing Committee; this was approved by all present.
* With regard to the policy on holding the next Northeast Asia Economic Conference, it was agreed that its fundamental aims would be the dissemination of information, policy research and proposals, and the provision of opportunities for business interaction.
* Themes that were listed as being likely to be discussed include the Vision for Economic Development in Northeast Asia, transport, the environment, trade and investment, development finance, energy and social development.
(Compiled and translated by the Secretariat)
|FANG Min||Director, Tumen River Area Development Administration, People’s Government of Jilin Province|
|GAO Yuxue||Deputy Director, Heilongjiang Economic and Trade Commission|
|Shi Min||Director, Asia-Africa Development Research Institute, State Council Development Research Center|
|Wang Shengjin||Vice-President, Jilin University|
|YAO Wang||Director, Secretariat of Boao forum for Asia|
|YANG Limin||Advisor to the Peoplefs Government of the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region|
|Zhao Yongli||Chief of TCDC Division, China International Center for Economic & Technical Exchanges, Ministry of Commerce|
|Ikuo Hirayama||Governor, Niigata Prefecture|
|Hisao Kanamori||Honorary Chairman, ERINA|
|Kensuke Koga||Senior Advisor, Japan-China Northeast Development Association|
|Ippei Yamazawa||President, International University of Japan|
|Hidetoshi Nishimura||Administrative Director, Japan-China Northeast Development Association|
|Norihiko Asakura||Senior General Manager / General Manager of Research Department, the Hokuriku AJEC|
|Otgonbayar||Counselor on Foreign Affairs to the Prime Minister of Mongolia|
|Tsegmid Tsengel||State Secretary, Ministry of Infrastructure|
|Kim Ip-Sam||Former Senior Advisor, Federation of Korean Industries|
|Victor Ishaev||Chairman, Far East & Zabaikalie Interregional Economic Coordination Association; Governor, Khabarovsk Territory|
|Pavel Minakir||Director, Economic Research Institute, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences|
|Yaroslav Semenikhin||President, Far Eastern Marine Research, Design and Technology Institute|
|Lee-Jay Cho||Chair, Northeast Asia Economic Forum; Senior Advisor, East-West Center|
|Tsogtsaikhan Gombo||Deputy Director, Tumen Secretariat, United Nations Development Programme|